Joe Biden’s Campaign Commits To Three Debates With Donald Trump
Click here to read the full article.
Joe Biden's presidential campaign said on Monday that he had committed to three presidential debates this fall while criticizing Donald Trump's team for their reasons for earlier meetings.
In a letter to the Commission for Presidential Debates, Jen O'Malley Dillon, Campaign Manager at Biden, said: “Our position is clear: Joe Biden will accept the Commission debates on the dates of the Commission in the format specified by the Commission and independently of the Commission Selection of moderators. Donald Trump and Mike Pence should do the same. "
More from Deadline
Fox News says it has attracted 7.7 million viewers to watch Donald Trump's Tulsa Rally
Press Officer Kayleigh McEnany on Donald Trump's use of the offensive term "kung flu" to describe the corona virus: "It connects it to its place of origin"
ABC News' John Bolton Special wins Timeslot and tops the night in key demos
As in previous cycles, the commission for presidential debates set dates for three presidential debates before the nomination process began. In October they announced that the debates would take place on September 29, October 15 and October 22. A vice president debate is scheduled for October 7. Candidates do not have to participate, but the approach has formalized a process that is used to leave many doubts about the scope of the debates of each cycle.
In the letter to the Commission, O'Malley Dillon wrote: "All" debate proposals "instead are just an attempt to change the subject, avoid debates or create a distracting" debate about debates "."
The Trump campaign has campaigned for a fourth debate and for the events to happen earlier, according to The Washington Post, with the argument that more Americans are voting ahead of time.
"We want fair debates," said Brad Parscale, campaign manager at Trump, according to the Post. "We want them earlier and we want a bigger schedule."
The urge for an additional debate was a reversal of complaints about the trial earlier this year, leading to speculation that Trump would skip it.
The Biden campaign also urged that the second debate be held in town hall format. At least one of the debates in the last cycles involved questions from the live audience.
“Joe Biden looks forward to meeting Donald Trump in a series of debates that the American people expect from his leaders. We hope that President Trump will not break this tradition or make excuses for refusing to participate, ”wrote O'Malley Dillon.
Biden advisers said the Trump campaign takes a new position on conflicting debates. Trump said mail-in polls would result in election fraud, but the reason for previous debates was that so many people would send postal ballot papers.
O'Malley Dillon called the "new position" of the Trump campaign a "distraction of the debate".
"The Trump position seems to be saying that he will be debating whether to choose the moderators: Obviously the president, who for the most part only conducts interviews with cheap news agencies, is afraid to ask questions from a neutral moderator," she wrote.
Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said in a statement: "It is fairly obvious that Joe Biden's handlers are afraid to send their candidate to hand without a script and a teleprompter. An earlier and longer debate plan is needed for that Americans can see the clear difference between President Trump's lively leadership and Biden's confused meanders. "
He added: “Because of his performance in a speech in Philadelphia last week, it's not about trusting Biden to answer the phone at 3:00 AM in an emergency, but whether he should be at 3:00 AM Clock in the morning on the Internet can answer afternoon. It's been 81 days since Biden has held a press conference, and his staff continue to encourage him to stay hidden. Americans deserve it better. "
Best of Deadline
Coronavirus: Global cases happen 8 million since the death toll is 450,000; U.S. deaths at 116,000 update
Coronavirus: Films that stopped or delayed production during the outbreak
Hong Kong film type postponed due to fears of coronavirus; Event moves two weeks before Toronto
Sign up for the Deadline newsletter. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest news.
You should check here to buy the best price guaranteed products.
EXCLUSIVE: Top Republicans torch FTC for 'partisan changes' that will harm consumers
Matt Damon on roughnecks, Wranglers, and his Stillwater Sonic order
Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney for Releasing Black Widow on Streaming
Alicia Witt Says She 'Can't Count' How Many Times She's Been Asked to Lose Weight
Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over Streaming Release of ‘Black Widow’
New York and Boston are finally getting a seaplane link with 75 minute flights and fares starting at $395 one way - and it may give Acela a run for its money