Meghan Markle Reveals Why She Was 'Not Really OK' In That Candid Interview Last Year
Former Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were more open and frank than ever on a "Teenager Therapy" podcast for World Mental Health Day on Saturday.
In the middle of the podcast, one of the hosts asked the Duchess of Sussex, "How are you?" The question harks back to an emotional, pivotal moment for Meghan in October 2019 when ITV journalist Tom Bradby asked almost the same question and hers honest answer provoked a global response.
"Not many people have asked if I was fine, but it is a very real thing to go behind the scenes," the Duchess said at the time.
"Every woman, especially when she's pregnant, is really vulnerable, and it got really challenging. And when you have a newborn, you know. And especially as a woman, it's a lot," she said, adding that she's also newly married was.
Towards the end of the clip, Bradby asked if it was fair to say that Meghan “isn't really all right? As in, was it really a fight? "
"Yes," said Meghan, looking tearful.
The response sparked sympathy and outrage over the Duchess of Sussex's treatment and dominated social media and headlines around the world.
In her podcast appearance on Saturday, the Duchess gave some background information about how she was feeling on the tour and on that particular day.
"Isn't that funny - it was about a year ago when someone asked me about it. We were on a tour in South Africa and on the last day of the tour I was tired. I was just about to give Archie a bath. I was exhausted."
Harry stepped in, adding that Meghan was also breastfeeding Archie at the time, what the Duchess referred to as a "marathon run" for those who don't understand how exhausting it is.
"Between every official engagement, I ran back to make sure our son was fed," added the former Suits actor, saying it was "a lot".
“But at the end [shooting a documentary] the journalist asked me if I was okay. And I didn't know that my answer would attract such interest worldwide, ”said Meghan.
"I haven't thought about that answer. I just answered honestly," Meghan said. "Because I was in a moment of vulnerability, because I was tired, because there was no presentation. It was just - here I am - me am a mother with a 4 1/2 month old baby and we are tired. "
Meghan added, "But I think it speaks to the fact that the reason it caught on with people is because everyone wants to be asked if they're okay."
Now, "a year later, I would say yes, I'm fine," replied the Duchess.
The Duchess of Sweets is coming to the University of Johannesburg in South Africa on October 1, 2019. (Photo: Siphiwe Sibeko / Reuters)
After the Royals tour South Africa in October 2019, Harry and Meghan went on a six-week sabbatical in North America. Upon their return to the UK, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced that they would be stepping down as working members of the royal family on January 8th.
After completing their final round of royal duties in March, the couple moved to Los Angeles and later settled in Montecito, California, near Santa Barbara, where they continue to perform both virtual and personal engagements during the coronavirus pandemic .
Subscribe to HuffPost's “Watching the Royals” newsletter for everything Windsor (and beyond) related.
Do you love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today.
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry apologize for 'illegal' photos of Archie
The Congressman says Harry and Meghan should lose royal titles for the election.
Meghan Markle on "almost insurmountable" online hatred that she got on maternity leave
This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.
You should check here to buy the best price guaranteed products.
Target Is Selling a Hocus Pocus Mug That Every Fan Needs in Their Collection
The 15 Absolute Dumbest Things People Posted On The Internet This Past Week
Dele hopes Spurs glean positives from Chelsea loss
Lowe Down, Ryder Cup special: USA vs. Britain
Congressional Progressive Caucus Prepares to Block Infrastructure Bill if Reconciliation Budget Fails
One dead, three wounded, including 11-year-old boy, in Bronx park barbecue shooting