NYC Attempted-Murder Suspect Dismissed from Court after Charge Reduced to Misdemeanor

A man arrested for attempted murder, who is also a registered sex offender, was released on supervised release without bail by a New York City court on Thursday after his charges were reduced to a misdemeanor.
Bui Van Phu, the 55-year-old man accused of brutally beating a diner on Friday night and causing trauma to the head that put his life at significant risk, had his charge from the Bronx of third-degree assault and second-degree harassment reduces criminal justice. The reasons for the lower charge were that he "deliberately (causes) bodily harm and with intent to harass, annoy or distress another person," according to court filings obtained by the Daily Mail.
ADVERTISEMENT
Phu served six years on life probation after being convicted of attempted robbery in 1991 and raping a 17-year-old girl at gunpoint in 1994, for which he was classified as a Level 3 sex offender. Phu was also charged with criminal gun possession and robbery in New York City in the 1990s, the outlet reported. He has been released from prison since March 2019.
Video obtained by New York police shows Phu exiting the Fuego Tipico restaurant in the Bronx, putting on work gloves and, without apparent provocation, violently hitting 52-year-old Jesus Cortes from behind in the head. The victim suffered a fractured skull, a broken cheekbone and a brain hemorrhage and is currently in the hospital in a coma.
Cortes' family members were dismayed to learn of the vicious attack and expressed their outrage that the perpetrator is now at large.
"That type of person shouldn't be on the street," said the victim's sister, Veronica Cortes, 50, who is a N.Y. Daily News. "I felt helplessness and anger and sadness because the person who did the damage doesn't know the damage they did to the whole family."
The incident comes as Mayor Eric Adams and the city's progressive prosecutors, like Democratic District Attorney Alvin Bragg, have come under heavy criticism for their pro-crime policies, like bail reform, which many residents say have fueled the rising tide of homicides , theft and grievous bodily harm.
Last month, Bragg originally settled on a murder charge and posted $500,000 bail for a New York bodega worker who fatally stabbed an attacker in self-defense. Bragg later dropped the charges in response to public backlash.
The Bronx DA and the New York Police Union did not immediately respond to requests for comment from National Review.
More from National Review
New Manhattan Attorney Says Office Faces Rise in Gun Crimes
New York City's Assault on Self Defense
Outraged bodega workers call on DA Bragg to drop charges against cashier who stabbed attacker

Last News

Russian bodies, shattered vehicles mark Moscow's loss of Ukrainian town

Russian bodies, shattered vehicles mark Moscow's loss of Ukrainian town

Sheriff: Teacher in Iredell County accused of sending nude image, video to student

Putin Crony Says He Drafted Russian ‘Kill List’ of Western Officials

Putin Crony Says He Drafted Russian ‘Kill List’ of Western Officials

DOJ Wins Faster Schedule for Mar-a-Lago Special Master Appeal