Protesters attack police with pepper spray as they try to storm Oregon capitol

Protesters spray maces at police as they attempt to get into the Oregon State Capitol during a special session of the lawmaker in Salem, Oregon on Monday, December 21, 2020. State Police declared an illegal gathering in the Oregon Capitol building as protesters against COVID-19 restrictions tried to get their way during the third special session. (Abigail Dollins / Statesman-Journal via AP) (AP)
Anti-lockdown protesters who flooded the Oregon state capital were evicted by police when bear spray and pepperballs flew between the two factions. This is evident from reports and footage of the scene.
About 300 members of the Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer and other groups came to the Reopen Oregon rally to urge Governor Kate Brown to lift pandemic restrictions when lawmakers held a special session to discuss stimulus and vaccine distribution measures .
Protesters used bear spray against the police when they entered the building before being evicted with pepper spray by police, according to the Statesman Journal, whose photographer was nudged by protesters while capturing the event.
Salem Police Lieutenant Treven Upkes told the Journal that the crowd may have used other chemical ammunition.
"When people tried to get into the building, they actually used pepper spray and other things for officers. In return, we used these to break up and get them to hold this place. So I don't know what was used but I know at least one pepper ball was used.
"There may also be other chemical ammunition that was being used by the crowd that appeared to behave similarly to ... a CS gas."
Protesters gather outside the Oregon State Capitol on Monday, December 21, 2020 during a special session of the legislature in Salem, Oregon. State police declared an illegal gathering at the Oregon Capitol as protesters against COVID-19 restrictions tried to enforce during the third special session. (Brian Hayes / Statesman-Journal via AP) AP
Two arrests were made with Oregon State Police identifying 41-year-old Ryan Lyles, who was accused of entering and assaulting a police officer.
Another arrest came after protesters smashed glass doors to enter the building while protesters chanted "Arrest of Kate Brown" and public enemy throughout the day.
In a press release, Oregon State Police confirmed that protesters first entered the Capitol using chemical agents at around 8:30 am when police used "inert pepperballs".
"When sufficient resources became available between OSP and the Salem Police Department, they pushed the crowd out of the building when another person used bear spray on police officers," the statement said.
“The Oregon State Police encourage people to exercise their first right of amendment, but it has to be lawful. Please cease acts of vandalism or property destruction. If you commit a crime, you will be arrested. "
While they were still searching for the first protester who had used a chemical agent when entering the building, Oregon State Police announced on Twitter late Monday that a second person had been taken into custody. It was unclear whether it was he who used the chemical agent.
The blue tear gas used by police was videotaped by a reporter for the Statesman Journal, Virginia Barreda, who said most of the building was scattered but remained on the ground.
As they disperse, they can be heard in the video singing "Stand Your Grand", "This Is America", "Shame On You", "Tyrant" and "Traitor to the State of Oregon and the US Constitution" .
In this article
Election Center 2020

You should check here to buy the best price guaranteed products.

Last News

Prince Harry calls for vaccine tech to be shared at Global Citizen

Kenyan policeman wakes up from coma to find he was sacked

London drivers feel the pinch as gas stations run dry

11 charged in death of Virginia Commonwealth University student

Man arrested in Miami mass shooting that left 3 dead and 20 injured

Hunter finds lost GoPro camera with footage taken by bear