The US military and Elon Musk are planning a 7,500 mph rocket that can deliver weapons anywhere in the world in an hour

Yichuan Cao / Getty Images
The US military is working with Elon Musk's SpaceX to build a rocket that can travel at 7,500 miles per hour to deliver weapons around the world.
The planned rocket will be able to transport 80 tons of cargo into space in about an hour and land anywhere in the world.
SpaceX will now evaluate the project's costs and technical challenges, while initial tests are expected in 2021.
You can find more stories on the Business Insider homepage.
Elon Musk's SpaceX and the US military are planning to build a rocket capable of speeds of 7,500 miles per hour that can deliver 80 tons of cargo to anywhere in the world in 60 minutes.
Under a newly agreed contract, SpaceX will evaluate the project's costs and technical challenges while initial tests are expected in 2021, General Stephen Lyons, head of the U.S. Transportation Command, told a virtual conference on Wednesday.
A 7,652-mile trip from Florida to Afghanistan could be completed in an hour on the high-speed missile, according to The Times. By comparison, an American C-17 Globemaster, a military transport aircraft costing $ 218 million with a top speed of 590 miles per hour, would complete this journey in about 15 hours.
"Remember to move the equivalent of a C-17 payload anywhere in the world in less than an hour," Lyons said. "I can tell you that SpaceX is moving very, very fast in this area. I am really excited about the team working with SpaceX."
Another aerospace company, Exploration Architecture Corporation (XArc), will also be part of the research program.
Founded in 2002 by Elon Musk, SpaceX has already developed the Falcon 9, a reusable rocket designed to carry 22 tons of cargo and land vertically in a controlled descent.
The plan comes days after SpaceX won a $ 149 million contract to build rocket-tracking satellites for the Pentagon, indicating the aerospace company is ramping up its military contracts. Under the contract, SpaceX will build four satellites equipped with wide-angle infrared missile tracking sensors at its Washington assembly plant. There the company is building satellites for its Starlink Internet project.
In August, SpaceX won 40% of a billion dollar deal with the Department of Defense to launch new missiles for the Space Force. The remaining 60% went to United Launch Alliance (ULA).
Read the original article on Business Insider

You should check here to buy the best price guaranteed products.

Last News

Why did Saudi Arabia's crown prince buy a team in northern England? It's not about the soccer

Galloping bison herd in Yellowstone has tourists running for cover

"The Batman" Director Called Robert Pattinson's Casting "Fated" Since He Initially Wanted The Actor To Play Bruce Wayne

Texas trucker convicted in fiery, fatal crash in Rocky Mountains

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's 'The Last Duel' is a tough yet important watch that'll likely get Oscar nominations

Stacey Dash Announces She’s Sober After Decade Long Battle With Opioids, But Black Twitter Was Finding It Hard to Sympathize